Sunday, 24 June 2012
Home made Sugar Pie on the BBQ!
My kids were in the mood for a sugar pie so I decided to make one with them and cook it on the BBQ. Sugar pie's is a French Canadian desert tradition. These are pretty easy to make but the crust can be a little tricky to make. Well let's get cooking!
· 2 cups all-purpose flour
· 1 teaspoon white sugar
· 1 teaspoon baking powder
· 1/4 teaspoon salt
· 1 cup lard or 1 cup shortening
· 1/3 cup cold water
· 1 egg yolk
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
1. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in lard until mixture resembles coarse meal.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together water, egg yolk, vanilla extract, and vinegar. Stir into flour mixture and knead dough briefly, just until smooth. Allow the dough to rest 15 minutes before you put it in the refrigerator for an hour. After the dough is chilled rolled and shaped it for your pie bowl!
Getting ready to roll dough!
Pie crust ready for filling!
Sugar Pie Filling
· 1 cup light brown sugar
· 2 tablespoons flour
· 1/3 cup Heavy cream (whipping)
1. Preheat BBQ for indirect cooking at a temp of 350 degree Fahrenheit.
2. Mixes sugars and flour well.
3. Spread the sugar mixture evenly in the pie shell.
4. Pour the cream over the sugar and place pie in the BBQ and cook it indirect for 35-40 minutes or until golden.
Heavy cream added on top of pie!
The top crust installed and made by my daughter and son!
Pie ready to cook indirect!
5. Serve the pie warm from the BBQ. You can use vanilla ice cream as a topping or wip cream!
Enjoy and bon appétit!